Many of us are rushed, and meal times are no different. We rush around all day and then eat quickly so we can get back to our seemingly endless list of tasks.
Eating slower is powerful in several ways. It’s an easy way to begin to reverse a harried lifestyle. It’s not difficult.
You simply take smaller bites, chew slower and more thoroughly, and enjoy your meal for a greater length of time.
Two decades ago, the Slow Food Movement was started in Italy as a way to counteract everything that fast food stands for.
There are several reasons you might want to consider eating slower:
1. You’ll sleep better. Eating too much in the evening is sure way to disrupt your sleep. By eating slower, which leads to improved digestion, your sleep is sure to be more restful. Disturbed sleep is one of the top complaints doctors receive.
2. Your mind will be less stressed. The simple act of eating slower can begin to counter a hectic, stressful lifestyle. Sit down and enjoy your meal, your friends and family, and your life.
3. You will enjoy your food more.
You’ll be surprised at just how much flavor some foods have if you’ll eat them slower. This is especially true of many foods that you might consider to be bland. Slowing down will give you the same amount of pleasure with far fewer calories.You are also likely to find that many of the unhealthy foods you currently enjoy don’t taste nearly as good if you eat them slowly. Give it a try. Take a food you love, but know you shouldn’t eat. Eat it very slowly and see if you still love it.
4. Your digestion will improve. Digestion begins in your mouth. Having food spend a little more time in your mouth makes a big difference. Even more importantly, by chewing your food more completely, you increase the amount of surface area for the enzymes and chemicals in your body to act.
5. Improved body composition: Numerous studies have shown that we eat less when we eat slower. How much can you lose from eating slower? According to the studies, about 20 lbs!It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to let you know that you’re full. If you eat too quickly, you can eat a lot more than your body needs.
6.Your body will be less stressed. Digestion requires a tremendous amount of energy. Some scientists believe that it’s the most energy-intensive process in the body. Further studies have shown that people whom consume the least (without starving) tend to live the longest. All digestion results in harmful metabolic products that must be eliminated from the body.
There are so many benefits to be gained by slowing down at mealtime. It’s an enjoyable way to lose weight and strengthen your physical health. You’ll also sleep better, be more relaxed, and can reconnect with your loved ones.
Start today with one meal. Make a real effort to chew more slowly and completely. Focus only on your meal and other people at the table. What could be easier or more enjoyable?
Think about all the ways you can incorporate these into your daily meals... small changes daily will help you create a more healthy lifestyle and healthy relationship with your body and food... Like putting gas in your car, the better gas, your car runs better, put in the cheap gas, just like your body on junk food, isn't gonna preform.
I love being prepared for the week. I am a huge believer, if you have a goal you have to reverse engineer it, map it out, and have a plan... so you can get there.
My Fave new meal planning tool is this recipe book, it is THE BOMB... I got it on amazon. I am loving the recipes so much.
You can also create meal plans and download meal plans along with at home workouts, you can create a free account and give it a try, or sign up for a year.
You can also join my free fb community, join monthly challenges, get daily healthy recipes, health & fitness tips, PLUS how to do it all and stay happy as a busy mom.. body min & soul care. It is an amazing community of women, would love to have you join my tribe.
I have been a health & wellness coach for over 10 years, feel free to send me a message if you have questions or wanna chat